Saturday, May 5, 2012

Guest Post - Drew Eisenbeis

Drew is one of Chris' Spring 2012 Professional Speaking students at Carnegie Mellon. Here he writes about oral communication.

            Oral communication: it’s communication through the mouth - it’s a type of communication that many of us do so much of, but also fear the most. According to a management study guide, oral communication is quite interpersonal and flexible; as the style can be instantly changed based on feedback from the audience. The document also mentions that oral communication is responsible for the energy of the matter being conveyed. [1] The types of material that oral communications covers are large, as it can range from a private conversation to communicating with a mass group of people. [2] Reading about oral communications brings to mind one of my first real-world oral communication experiences that tossed me in head over feat, unprepared and unskilled; but once the spotlight was on, there was no turning back.

I was in the 10th grade at the time, I was techie – into electronics, and somehow my hobby led me into mobile DJing. Since the 6th grade I had DJ’ed at birthdays, school dances, pool parties and proms – but today was different. Today I was DJing my first wedding, which meant I was going to have to talk on a microphone in front of people, lots of people. I had been so involved and worried about setting up the backend logistics of the wedding that I didn’t even think about what I would have to be communicating over the microphone in front of everyone until I was setup and testing all the equipment. My mind went wild. I began to panic, doubting myself and questioning what I got myself into – I had never even seen a wedding with a DJ perform, and back then I didn’t have the luxury of YouTube to seek out examples. There was no doubt; I needed to figure out something, and fast.

Being the thrifty 10th grader I was, I first tried to get my assistant to do all the communications – he swiftly laughed a no at me. There was no choice, I’m not a quitter; I was going to have to figure out how to communicate all this wedding information and face my fear. So while the venue was empty, I did a dry run of what I expected to occur during the wedding. With one off my chest, I did a second dry run, except this time I listened to what I was saying. I tried to imagine how what I was speaking would be interpreted, was the tone and sound in my voice what I’d expect at a wedding? Was it relaxed or forced? Was it “me”? By about the 11th run through of my imagined script, I was beginning to think I might survive this ordeal.

The guests were arriving, finding their tables, getting drinks at the bar, relaxed and having a good time. I was in the corner shaking, wound up, and in no cheerful mood like the others in attendance. The bar tender came over and asked me to announce that the bar would be closing in five minutes so the reception could begin. Here goes nothing, I picked up the microphone and made the announcement, trying to listen to myself at the same time. It was shaky, timid, weak and un-authoritative. There was hardly even an acknowledgement from the crowd. I thought, “What could be wrong?” I thought back to my rehearsals and realized my communication was getting lost in my shyness. I realized I was going to have to do something different when it was time to announce the wedding party; I was going to have to sound confident, cheerful and lively – I just wasn’t sure how I was going to do that yet.

Finally, the moment arrived. Shaking, I took a deep breath and launched into announcing the wedding party. I gave it everything I could, sounding confident, hiding my shaking body in front of a commanding voice. It was working – almost. There was something missing though, and come about the forth couple I started to realize what was missing. My smile. My smile was not coming across in my communications, so as I began to announce the maid of honor and best man, I smiled. The result of my smile (and adrenalin) gave my communication the sound it needed. More importantly, it helped give me the confidence to welcome the bride and groom to a room full of people.

Fast-forward several weddings later, I am now a masters student and finally in a Professional Speaking course – a course that would have come in hand many years ago. While I had informally improved my wedding communication skills; learning tricks hear and there – and seeing mistakes on YouTube, I am now beginning to finally learn the formal details of oral communication. The details that would’ve allowed me to look like a professional and sound like a professional.

The first few days in the communications class have already provided a wealth of important notes; from maintaining appropriate demeanor, to the physical body communication that compliments the oral communication. With oral communication, the class has conveyed importance of standing up straight and tall, without hands and fingers crossed or in our pockets. It is important that our eyes make contact with the audience and that we read their reactions. We also need to speak with confidence and appropriately project our voice. Along with a good oral presentation, it was mentioned in class that listening is just as important, by listening; we can adapt our oral communication style and ensure the message is being conveyed. Looking at the short list for notes from the class thus far, I could have really used it to help me at communicating during the wedding reception!

From my experiences, the professional speaking class and the research that I’ve done so far, I’ve learned that oral communication is one of the most adaptable forms of communication and can be used from person to person all the way to the masses. Most importantly, I’ve learned that oral communications can be tailored on the spot to set the appropriate energy and mood of the information being conveyed.



No comments:

Post a Comment