Saturday, May 5, 2012

Guest Post - Abhishek Devendraiah

Abhishek is one of Chris' Spring 2012 Professional Speaking students at Carnegie Mellon. Here he writes about oral communication.

One of my friends was recently blessed with a baby and he was sharing his baby-sitting experiences with me. His daughter’s primary mode of communication was crying, but it was pretty clear and straightforward. It had an  "angry cry", "hungry cry", "irritated cry", "just for the heck of it cry", "I want to sleep, but can't cry", "dad stop singing cry" and so on. The baby hasn’t even reached an age where it can utter any word but has no problem in communicating what she has in mind; neither do her parents have any problem understanding her.

     As young kids, we would have went through similar phase where none of us had any problems in expressing our feeling, anxieties, attitudes even before we could really understand the language which people around us spoke. But as grown ups we hear numerous instances where businesses fail, teams fail, projects fail because of communication issues. Surveys [1] indicate that more than 50% of the IT projects fail because of lack of effective communication amongst the people involved. Its ironic that these teams or project which involve adults who are well qualified, experienced more importantly have powerful channels such as a language to communicate fail to do so, but the same set of people did not have any such issues in their younger days.
I was always puzzled and curious to understand this irony.  

In CMU I had the opportunity to interact with diversified group of International students coming from different countries. Especially among Non native English speakers, I see that English language is a barrier rather than a means for their communication. I was curious to understand how many of us could communicate so effectively in our younger days where we could hardly speak any language. That was when I came across Professor Albert Mehrabian’s communication model[2]. According to this study a staggering 55% of the communication takes place through non verbally means such as facial expressions, gestures etc., 38% of a message is communicated through paralinguistic ways such as tone of our voice, pitch, the confidence in our expression and meager 7% of the communication takes place through the words that are spoken. Further more Professor Labash’s class added more things to my learning of effective communication. The Essential elements of a effective communication is the passion with which we speak, the tone, facial expression, eye contact persuasiveness, gestures etc. These non-verbal elements are the vital parts for an effective oral communication. From this I could clearly build an AHA picture why young people do not have many constraints to communicate than grown ups do. As Young people we efficiently used these visual, non verbal, paralinguistic ways to communicate, but as adults we tend to focus more on the verbal modes of the communication and try to overemphasize the importance of words in communication.

Now that we know the importance of non-verbal elements such as confidence, the gestures etc. in oral communication, I was doing some thinking how we naturally made use of them in our younger days while as adults, many a times we fail to do so. I was trying to draw some personal experiences where I was very effective in communicating my thoughts. One such instance was during my undergraduate days where I was trying to sell some college fest tickets to my fellow students. I turned out to be very good sales person and I could sell a fair chunk of the tickets. Now, I analyzed what made me so effective in that job back then, I realize that primarily I was very excited about the fest and the events that were happening in the fest. In the first place I was convinced that this is a type event that I as a student would like to attend and it was easier for me to convince my fellow students to do so. Studies [3]have shown that confidence, gestures, and many of non-verbal elements comes naturally when a person truly believes in what he says. I could certainly tell from my ticket selling experience that those gestures, the energy, the passion came naturally to me because I was convinced about the event. From this I could more effectively persuade others to buy tickets. After selling a few tickets it was much easier for me to convince students because I had ‘social proof’ many of their friends were attending this event and this made them buy tickets. Apart from this there were a few tactical things that I made use to sell more tickets. As ticket sales picked up I started announcing that tickets are NOT going to last forever and people had few for minutes to buy them. The scarcity created, persuaded more people to buy tickets immediately.

   Professor Labash’s class on communication reinforced my experiences that ‘Scarcity’, ‘Social Proof’ are essential elements in persuasion. Further more I learnt that communication is more persuasive when the listener likes a person, when the speaker has  ‘Authority’ in that context etc.

To conclude, I would say that each of us are born with natural ability to communicate through non verbal means and for quite some time this was our only means of communication. Just like a infant which communicates its feeling without even using channels such as language, these non verbal modes of communication would come naturally when we are personally convinced about anything we want to communicate. As a speaker, we should effectively make use of these natural instincts in our oral communication. Apart from this there are many elements which make our speech more persuasive and we need to be aware of them at least till it comes naturally to us. Lastly I would like to say that as important it is to be effective speaker it is also important to be effective listener.  Communication is a two a channel consisting of listening and speaking and  it can only effective when we develop good listening skills along with speaking skills.

  




[1] http://www.it-cortex.com/Stat_Failure_Cause.htm
[2] http://www.businessballs.com/mehrabiancommunications.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment