Sunday, February 26, 2012

Guest Post - Swetha Patil

Swetha is one of Chris' Spring 2012 Professional Speaking students at Carnegie Mellon. Here she writes about virtual communication.


Communication has been derived from the Latin word "communis", meaning to share. Man is a social animal and communication is part & parcel of life.  We don’t realize but we are so dependent on technology and used to virtual communication that life seems impossible without laptop, smart phones, internet, cellular network & cell phones. But what is virtual communication? Virtual communication is interacting with others in virtual reality. There are various forms of virtual communications like video conferencing, telephone calls, emails and text messages. Technology has advanced to such an extent that geographical distances do not act as hindrance for communication.

Be it any culture, to have an effective communication certain things are essential like communication is not all about talking but also listening. When we interact we should be relaxed, which is the key to effective communication. In virtual communication we virtually connect but there has to be a bonding and respect for each other while communicating. One should be prepared, polite, enthusiastic, passionate, confident, direct and simple while communicating. Virtual communication is being extensively used in education, healthcare and entertainment to name a few. There can be two type of virtual communication i.e. synchronous and asynchronous. Synchronous virtual communication is like a phone call or video conferencing where person from each side communicates like real time conversation. Each side waits for the reply from the other side. On the other hand emails, text messages are asynchronous type of communication where people email or text and continue with their work and do not keep waiting for the reply. There is delay in asynchronous communication and does not have the non verbal element. This is why we have emoticons in instant messaging and email. These emoticons convey more than words.

I use virtual communication almost on a daily basis. I am so addicted to my iPhone that I can’t imagine any time of my day without my smart phone. I use it to make local and international calls, text my friends, surf web. With Wi-Fi and 3G, I even use it to “Skype” with my parents and friends back in India. Phone calls and Skype make me feel close to home even though I am in a different continent. Skype has become so popular that it is almost used as a verb. Virtual communication has made earth a closely bound planet. I am in Pittsburgh and my parents are in Bangalore, India but distance does not seem to be a problem because I am virtually connected. I bought a pair of boots last week and was so excited that started showing it to my parents on Skype. Virtual communication gives me confidence and a sense of attachment as I am not far from my loved ones anymore. I stay in touch with my school and college friends through googletalk, Yahoo messenger, Facebook, Skype and the list goes on. Another advantage of virtual communication is that one cannot feel lonely at any point of time. No matter where you are, if you have internet or phone, then you are connected.

For me the value of virtual communication is not just limited to personal life. I worked at Oracle for three years as an IT consultant. I worked with clients across the globe and had to interact with them at regular basis. In IT consulting communication plays a key role. Working form off shore wasn’t a big challenge as I was virtually connected with my clients and peers. We had Voice over IP phones and whenever wanted to reach someone from our desk, just had to dial a number and got connected to people in any part of the globe. Our team used to have calls, web conferences with clients which made our work simpler and faster.  Business at global level gives you the opportunity to interact with people of different cultures and learn new things about them and their culture. I worked with Asian, European and North American clients and learnt a lot of things about their business, work culture even though I did not travel to all these continents. I really find this technology amazing of connecting to someone who is miles away, in seconds.

In business the current belief is that virtual communication is replacing face- to- face interactions. Virtual communication is efficient, inexpensive and easy to use. But a study by the Cornell Center for Hospitality Research found that under certain business conditions, face to face interactions are more effective than virtual communication1.  To some extent it is true that virtual communication cannot be equivalent to face to face communication as it lacks the personal connection that you have when interacting with someone face-to-face.

With life moving at a fast pace we cannot connect to people every time by having face to face interactions. We keep moving, our loved ones keep moving but with virtual communication we no more feel isolated. We are all connected and bonded by this great innovation of mankind i.e. virtual communication

No comments:

Post a Comment