Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Guest Post: Rituparna Dey

Rituparna is one of Chris' Summer 2010 Professional Speaking students at Carnegie Mellon University. Here she writes about getting the job you want.

“We never get a second chance to make a first impression” -Anonymous

Organizations want to hire employees who reflect the organization’s values and are presentable to their stakeholders. In the last company I worked for, I often conducted first-round technical interviews. On a particularly busy day, I had to wait for 30 minutes before my interviewee showed up. In addition, when he did arrive, I noticed that he was in sweat pants. My first thoughts were- “Would I be willing to project him to my top clientele?” He clearly did not value my time. He had not dressed appropriately for the interview. His attitude reflected lack of seriousness and utter carelessness. Although he was technically sound, the position required a true professional, and unfortunately I had to let him go. First impressions do matter! Turn up early for an interview. Allow enough room for contingencies like a traffic jam or a road accident. Dress up according to the norms of the organization, although a business suit is the most preferred attire. Talk amicably – everything counts towards your favorable disposition. When an organization hires you, it acquires you in entirety. Your demeanor, attitude and skills portray the values of the organization. Make the interview memorable for you and for your interviewer.

“Completed 12 years of high school”

I happened to come across this accomplishment in one resume! Be practical. Under normal circumstances, any company receives hundreds of resumes for one position. How do you think you will stand out? How will you increase your chances of getting past the first stage? Why should I summon you for an interview over the 30 resumes that I rejected? Your resume needs to be concise and relevant to the position. When you arrive for an interview, carry copies of your latest resume and hand one over to the interviewer. You never know whether he has had the opportunity to look through your particulars.

“Why do you think you would be a fit for this company?”


I was interviewing with a well-known IT firm for a software developer position. After four grueling rounds of technical interviews, I was scheduled to meet the HR. Thinking that it would be a breeze; I stomped in only to be spellbound by her first question. Although, I had an idea of what the company did, I did not know why I would be a value-add to the organization. Very strange, but my interviewer instantly realized that I was not sufficiently cognizant of my prospective employer. I had not highlighted my enthusiasm to learn about its history. Nor had I bothered to ponder about whether I would fit in its culture. They trashed my resume. After hearing Chris Labash talk about how important it is to be a good fit in an organization, I would have done the same!

“Tell me something about yourself” or some variant is a sure-shot icebreaker in an interview.

Should you have a rehearsed answer or is it impromptu? I suggest, think in advance, about what you want to say. Rehearsed answers often sound memorized- you definitely do not want to appear as a school kid reciting a verse. However, each company wants to hear something specific. Hence, your answer, tailored to the organization you are interviewing for, should be checkered with your asset points.

“There are some people who leave impressions not so lasting as the imprint of an oar upon the water.” – Kate Chopin


Was your interview successful? Was it interesting for the interviewer? Will he remember you 3 days after your meeting with him? The answer to all three questions is YES if you have managed to turn your interview into a conversation. Look for natural pauses to enter into a discussion. Throw insightful comments. The last time you interviewed with a company- did you wish for your interview to end or did you regret that it ended too soon? If you are in the latter group, you were conversing with the interviewer.

“Questions are never indiscreet, answers sometimes are” - Syrus

Do not be afraid to ask questions. Ask the interviewer about the projects you would work on or the culture of the company. It exhibits your readiness to join. Should you have questions about compensation, be upfront at the end of the interview. Quote industry benchmarks to display your awareness of the situation. You might even ask him what follows the interview stage.

“All’s well that ends well; but we are not quite there” (modified well-known proverb)

The end is as important as the beginning. After the interview, thank the interviewer seriously and shake hands. Remember – you still have a chance to correct your goof ups. You could send him a thank you note or email. This is your last chance before he makes up his mind. According to CareerBuilder, "Nearly 15% of hiring managers say they would not hire someone who failed to send a thank-you letter after the interview. Thirty-two percent say they would still consider the candidate, but would think less of him or her." You could actually hurt your chances by not sending that tiny note.

“Who says there is no a reason to cry over spilt milk?” (modified well-known proverb)


You are out. The show is over. Relax! Ruminate! Think about what went right. What should you work on before your next interview? Should you improvise your answers? How did the interview close? What is your gut feeling about the interview? In fact, research shows that good post mortems create better thank you notes. The learning prepares you for your subsequent interviews.

Now is when your job interview is formally over.

No comments:

Post a Comment